Restorative Economics Organizer – Oakland, CA
The REAL People’s Fund (RPF), is seeking a bright, dedicated community organizer with a passion for racial, economic, and gender justice to be our Restorative Economics Organizer. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven, organized, and friendly team member who is ready to play a leading role in supporting entrepreneurs in Black and brown communities to access the financing their businesses need to thrive.
Reporting to the REAL People’s Fund Network Coordinator, the Restorative Economics Organizer is a key member of a team that will be responsible for coordinating the fund’s community outreach and education efforts. They will remain in close communication with the REAL People’s Fund movement organizations, partners, and member leaders to build, expand, and maintain an active network of East Bay entrepreneurs.
The RPF Organizer is a full-time, exempt position supervised by the RPF Network Coordinator, hosted at Restore Oakland Inc. (RO). The individual is expected to uphold the values and mission of REAL People’s Fund in their daily work. We expect individuals to represent ideals of integrity, respect, accountability, compassion and leadership. This position requires an energetic individual who has excellent interpersonal, oral presentation skills and is excited to work with a wide range of community members.
About the REAL People’s Fund
The REAL People’s Fund is a $10 million community capital fund offering equitable access to finance for small businesses in the historically disinvested East Bay communities of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. Founded and democratically-governed by six community organizing groups, this unique fund directly addresses the systemic failures that prevent entrepreneurs in Black communities, Indigenous communities, and communities of color from accessing the financing their businesses need to thrive. The REAL People’s Fund responds to community needs by offering flexible capital on fair terms and pairing loan recipients with ongoing support from Uptima Entrepreneur Cooperative, local business advising experts.
Duties and Responsibilities
The RPF Organizer will have a balance of facilitation, coalition-like coordination, administrative, and organizing duties. A successful applicant must demonstrate a commitment to racial, social, economic justice, and the ability to communicate effectively across diverse communities. The RPF organizer is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of RPF’s outreach and organizing strategy and fostering relationships with the entrepreneurial ecosystem in the East Bay.
- RPF organizer must be comfortable executing a range of skills such as:
- Organizing outreach and campaign team meetings (virtual and in person)
- Project management for key deliverables
- Working with peers on projects to encourage collaboration
- Making public and small group presentations on the community loan fund
- Establish and expand a base of mission-aligned entrepreneurs and small businesses in Oakland and throughout the East Bay;
- Train and support members and organizers at partner organizations to have the necessary resources and fluency in the REAL People’s Fund to be able to organize entrepreneurs in their neighborhoods and sectors;
- Work with RPF communications team to promote the REAL People’s Fund across our social media platforms, including community education about the our fund;
- Assist in the development of mutli-lingual outreach and education materials for our community loan fund;
- Coordinate meetings and info sessions with local entrepreneurs and maintain consistent communication with organizers from our partner organizations (50-200 people);
- Support the coordination of outreach and orientations led by RPF partners for interested applicants (including recruitment, technical assistance, and cohort development);
- Support RPF partners in developing surveys and political education materials on topics such as economic justice, racial equity, accessibility, and community power-building.
- Develop relationships and advocate with local elected leaders policies and regulations that local small businesses;
- Stay informed of all developments regarding East Bay small businesses, including policy changes in the region, and other challenges faced by entrepreneurs we work with;
- Co-develop and implement RPF campaign strategies in partnership with RPF Board;
- Manage the implementation of a campaign/movement strategy plan, including communicating among and coordinating core teams, and scheduling regular evaluations;
- Coordinate with key contractors and partners to advance the campaign;
- Collaborate with RPF organizational partners to maintain accurate participant and organizing data, including attendance rosters, evaluations, and meeting notes;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 4 years of experience in popular education, program implementation and evaluation, advocacy, campaign organizing, and/or organizing frontline communities;
- Interest and experience in regenerative economy, restorative economics, just transition, social enterprise development, immigrant justice;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and fully bilingual in English and Spanish;
- Knowledge of the Oakland, Alameda County, and/or Contra Costa County political environments;
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, social networking systems, mobile platforms, and some web applications;
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively, and effectively with public, staff, and volunteers.
- $70,000-75,000 depending on experience.
- Restore Oakland Inc. offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, life insurance, vacation and sick time.
How to Apply
Please submit application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: September 10, 2021. Complete applications must include:
- A cover letter including a description of your interest in the position and qualifications.
- A writing sample relevant to the role of an Organizer
- A resume